(adapted from here)
2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 TBSP baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups almond milk
1 TBSP apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup aquafaba (chickpea liquid)
1 1/2 cups raw sugar
lemon zest from 1 lemon
8 TBSP vegan butter, softened to room temperature
lemon juice from 1/2 a lemon
a glug of vanilla paste
(I really don't use a recipe for frosting, but here is one if you don't have a favorite frosting)
1 cup vegan butter
3 cups powered sugar, sifted
a glug vanilla paste
3 TBSP almond milk
1. In a medium bowl sift the flour, baking powder, and salt.
2. Combine the almond milk and ACV in a cup and let it sit. It's gonna turn into vegan buttermilk.
3. Whisk the aquafaba in a separate bowl until its foamy (1-2 minutes).
4. In a mixing bowl combine the sugar and butter with lemon zest and whip it up (maybe 2-3 minutes). Add the almond milk mixture, aquafaba, vanilla, and lemon juice.
5. Then add all the dry ingredients. Mix well (2-3 minutes). Pour into molds (I used 3x 4" and 1x 6" to make several diff cakes, but this recipe will make 2x 8" or 1x 8" if you want to torte it).
6. Bake at 350, 30-35 minutes.
While the cake is cooling you can make the frosting:
1. Whip the butter with the powdered sugar little at a time. Add vanilla and almond milk. You want the consistency to be smooth, but not runny.
FROST + ENJOY!